Monday 23 July 2007

Solo I

Andrew Edge (Solo I) Black Velvet Records Recordings with Robert Ponger-producer ( Falco-Paper Moon etc...) signed contracts with Black Velvet Records and with Warner Bros/BMG Ariola for publishing and record distribution.
Supported Joan Baez in Vienna.


"I had just unceremoniously parted company from YOYO and I was wondering what to do. Robert Ponger called me and asked if I was interested in working with him - I was. He had just had a recent success with the Paper Moon duo and he was setting up his own record company. I went to his studio outside Vienna and we talked. We later recorded the first song which was 'Northern Sky'."

"For the next 3 years I went to Vienna every now and again. We recorded about 12 songs in 3 years = 4 songs a year = 1 song every 3 months. Eventually I just got so frustrated waiting for Robert to call that I stopped it. Robert signed me over to BMG for an undisclosed sum."

Quick Memories:
"Sitting in the garden of Robert's studio. He would play me a tune and then send me off outside to quickly come up with the lyrics. The lyrics to 'Northern Sky' were written because I had seen a report about the ozone layer the previous night. 'There's a hole in the sky, it's a hundred miles wide, and the colours are fading.' I remember thinking about the McCartney song at the time: 'I'm fixing a hole where the rain gets in, to stop my mind from wandering'."

No comments: